Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Being Young Doesn't Mean You're Useless...

From as far back as I can remember I have always been taught that being young should be an advantage not a disadvantage.  So many people these days have lost faith in my generation and coming from that generation, I have almost lost faith myself.  I would not consider myself that different from the rest.  I have always had a passion to change the things I see wrong.  I have a voice, a loud one at that, and I intend to use it.  Merced is a place where I have always been, I've gone away and ended up back right where I started.  So what is it that keeps bringing me back? Maybe the way Starbucks knows my name when I walk in the door, maybe how whenever I go to Target I see someone I know, or maybe its the way that every time I walk in to Raley's I feel like I am their only customer.  This town is important to me because it is the place I call home.  My generation needs to understand that Rome was not built in a day, just like Merced will not be a thriving college town overnight.  If this town is ever going to get picked up off the ground it is going to take a team effort.  I am 21 years old and have a vision unlike any other.  I want to see this place become the next Palo Alto.  Some can sit there and laugh while reading this and think that I am just on a power trip.  I know this is an uphill battle, but if I'm the only one speaking up we will never get anywhere.  Now is the time to appreciate the town we live in, it is time to start making a change instead of taking the easy road and deeming it the 3rd most miserable city in the U.S.  After all, I was always taught, you have no room to complain unless you make a conscious effort to change what you are complaining about.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you sweetie!! You go girl! Lead the way and get involved in some local organizations!! Love U, Marihelen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marihelen! I am working on it! :)

    ReplyDelete